Wednesday, August 20, 2008

HEAVY RAINS



We had a large rain storm on Friday around 6pm and the streets were really flooded in many areas of the city. Many homes had water lapping against the side of their buildings. Our house is built near a dike so the elevation is higher and we have not experienced the flooding. We seem to go to the roof top and watch the amazing amounts of water come down from the heavens.

Actually here is a funny story. We had a heavy rain storm last Wednesday around 9 pm and the storm drains splash down hard onto the ground making a loud general splatter noise. I went to bed and when, for some unknown reason, (actually the dogs were barking) I briefly woke up around 2 a.m. only to also hear the continual beating of rain outside. I was drowsy and quickly fell asleep. Around 4 a.m. I again woke up and I could not believe how heavy and for how long the rains were pounding outside. It sounded like a massive waterfall and I figured that by morning, half the city may in fact be flooded from this rain.
As it was pitch black outside and I couldn't bother to see what was going on with the flooding, I was happily on my way to quickly falling asleep again. However, I speedily realized I should go to the washroom, and as I approached and opened the washroom door, I soon became aware that the pouring rain was not outside at all, it was, in fact, a burst water pipe from the sink! (cheaply made stuff out here) The water was gushing and pounding the wall with an enormous amount of force. My eyes came out of my head! I checked under the sink for a shut off valve... it didn’t exist in our place.
So now, I am trying to find out where the main water shut off valve is. I scoured the house and could not find it. I decided to go out to the landlord’s place and knock on the door. I pretty much knew nobody would answer. Hmmm, lets see, 4 a.m. and someone is knocking on my door, well to no surprise nobody showed up. I decided to go around the outside of the building and see if I could recognize something that looked like water shut-off. Well through the dark I stumbled and located something that could be a shut-off valve. I turned it and although I wasn’t convinced that I had done it, I suddenly heard a cheer from Les that I was, in fact, successful. DANGER AVERTED!
PS Our washroom has the shower drain sitting on the floor. This is to accommodate the shower that is not in a separate area of the washroom. So we did not suffer any water damage because all the water went and filled a portion of the bathroom but slowly went down the drain. I guess it is designed for such an occasion.

We are currently struggling with stomach issues, Maya has lice, and the we all struggle with general heat exhaustion. The school days are long here as we all get to the school by 7am and get home around 5ish. I feel sorry for Maya, she cries and does not like being in pre-school for that long. Who would??

The kids don’t really have an area to play at home as we are told it is not safe for them to play outside the gate without us watching them. The girls do play on the rooftop but it is not the same. Ahh green grass. By the way, the green stuff you see in the picture isn't really grass.

2 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

Wow! I am glad that nothing happened to your home because of that water. We will continue to pray for the stomach issues and the adjustment to the schedule.

Jenny K said...

Hi Guys!
Love the blog and the pictures especially! Jaxson wants to know if that is Ny on the bike behind Stephanie and Jules (that's my fav. pic).
Sorry to hear about all the negatives but all in all it sounds like you are enjoying yourselves. Please keep updating the blog and adding pictures. Helps us Calgarians visualize your day to day life.
love you lots
xo
jegs