Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sometimes its hard to believe I am here

Here I am, sitting in my house that I have yet to call home. The rain is fierce and currently pounding the home's very solid concrete structure. I am appreciating the current change in temperature during this erratic yet regular daily event. I am sitting under a fan trying to minimize the sweat, and I am thankful to be here in Cambodia.
Last night our family had a chance to go to our landlords' child's 11th birthday party. It was a big deal. The party was held on the roof of the house and there were about 40 people invited. A number of ladies prepared all day for this gala event. The birthday girl wore a beautiful white dress and even a bit of make-up. She was beaming.
Our landlord's are Buddhist in religion, however, the grandmother is the most serious of the family. She is a dear elderly lady who apparently gives most of her food to the local Temple at a cost to her own health. She is a very touchy-feely lady who seems tickled-pink to hold and rub my arm up and down. It was all very humorous. Oddly, the birthday girl is attending a local Christian church on Sunday mornings, the parents are OK with it.

The party music in the background consisted of a electronic synthesizer that has a collection of about 1000 midi style songs within it. The range of christmas music, to christian hymns to other random songs didn't seem to phase the group, it was just some nice music. These songs had no context to the local Cambodians. Les and I couldn't help but smile when we heard "I am dreaming of a White Christmas" on a warm September evening high above the local landscape.

We enjoyed the locally prepared food. Although one guest thought we were eating Dog meat, I didn't ask questions as I was chewing what I thought was a tasty fare. Later though, I found out it was beef. Whew!! The landlord's ordered in pizza for the children from a local pizza place. The girls liked the pizza.


The kids played games on the roof while the adults tried to communicate and enjoy the spirit of the evening. We really had a fun night. To top it all off, at the end of the party we didn't have to get a Tuk Tuk to come home, we just went to our side of the building. We have been blessed with good landlords.

I leave with you this verse from 2 Cor 9 12-15 that was a blessing to me today and thanks to so many of you for your prayers and support. Your blessings to us have allowed us to bless others here in a very real way.



"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" 2 Cor 9 12-15
















Our road flooded on the way to school.

I was speaking at a chapel at school.









Lesley's grade 1 class.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i like......

Becky said...

Thanks for posting a blog. I just discovered it, and am enjoying reading how God loes you where ever you go! That little old lady seems quite thrilled to have you be their tenants, Dean! The picture is priceless!

Heather said...

Okay this entry had me laughing out loud. That lady is hilarious. Nice flooded road too! The kids are adorable...and the reason you are there. Remember that on the tough days Weiss family. Way to go!