Friday, December 5, 2008

How to BBQ Khmer Style

Well Rich Balzer, who needs a Weber BBQ anyways? I am finally trying to BBQ out here for the first time since we got here. Hotdogs are on the menu- not too difficult right? As an aside: The dogs don’t taste the same (maybe that’s because it is dog? I hope not!) In the picture, this is the typical BBQ pot that people will use out here. I tried to get it going and thankfully my neighbor realized I had no idea what I was doing with this wood coal stuff. She helped me out and probably had a good snicker in the process. BBQs seem to sit low on the ground. In general, the Khmer people have no problem getting low to the ground to BBQ or anything else for that matter. I on the other hand seem to make that look rather difficult. Needless to say, I burnt the hotdogs (I am out of practice I guess). However, it was nice to BBQ in about +29C and sunny. The weather is much nicer now, we don’t sweat in the house too much.

The rainy season is now over. Right after Water Festival in the 3rd week of November they(not sure who they are) just announce the rains will stop. I found this hard to believe but sure enough there was one big storm and since then there has been no rain. We found a crab moving up and down our dirt street and we couldn’t understand why it was there. We found out that it came from the lake and that means the rainy season is over. How does that crab know that?

Random: One of the pics is with our neighbor Mony who is in grade 5. Steph, Julia, and Mony play in the back court area when they are all not doing homework. Mony has school 6 days a week. Maya likes to hang out with the older girls too.

We are going to try and support a street ministry puppet show that some of our staff and students have put together. Steph is helping out too. I offered to take some of the pics. Will show that later.

No comments: