Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sureyah Touch needs a homestay


Hi All,
Many of you are aware that Sureyah Touch, an Orphan from our Christian school in Cambodia, is very close to coming to Trinity Western University and experiencing Canada for this upcoming school year (it would be a wonderful miracle for this terrific student). Below is his story.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Greetings!

My name is TidSureyah Tach. I was born on July 9th, 1990. I have been studying at Logos International School, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and have recently graduated. In the moment, I am still staying in an orphanage that I used to live. At the same time, I am applying for Trinity Western University hoping to get a doctor degree when I come back to Cambodia.

Before tell my background story, I would like to say that this story is about God’s love and His grace has shown me. By the mercy of God, I was born to an average Cambodian family. I had three brothers and a sister (and later I had two more brothers from my second mother). My father used to be an employee with the United Nation in Cambodia, and my mother was a seller at a town market. When I was very young, my mother passed away. The neighbor told me my mother had high blood pressure. However, I think she had more than high blood pressure. I believe she had a heavy heart because my father had secretly found another wife.

During my mother’s funeral, I cried the entire time. I could not understand why she left me so early. I still needed her, and I thought from there on I would live in a cold, cruel world. Soon after the funeral, my father took me to his new wife’s village, which is in another province. He brought his new wife into our family. In Cambodian society step-mothers are usually viewed as bad people. My brothers and sister were very afraid of her.

While we were living together, things did not go well and my brothers and sister did not trust our new mother. We call her “Aunt.” One of my brothers went to live in an orphanage since my stepmother had two sons living with us already. My father was always having disputes and quarreling with his new wife and his mother-in-law.

About six years after my mother’s death, my father became very ill. My stepmother tried hard to help him. At the same time, our living conditions were getting worse and worse. Since my father looked like nothing more than a skeleton because of his lung disease, and my father decided to sell almost everything we possessed for money for medical care. At the end of our hope, we sold even our home. However, that did not change my dad’s situation. The night we had hope because we had the money from the sale of the house, my dad passed away. That event became my turning point.

After my dad’s funeral, I moved to an orphanage, along with my brother. Living in the orphanage changed my whole perspective about life. I became a Christian when I was thirteen. At the same time, I was privileged to attend Logos for a good education. Everything began to brighten, and I have to admit, that everything that happened to me was because of Christ. He brought me through all these events. Now I have finished 12 grades, and stand at a crossroads. I hope to become a doctor and help my people. I hope everything I do will benefit my country and those around me, especially the broken Cambodians who have been through the same situation or worse than mine. My main goal in life is to serve Christ; and in that serving, His name be lifted up by those who are touched.

Thank you for this opportunity to share my story.

Sincerely,

Sureyah

+++++++++++++++++

The Trinity Western University Church Matching grant looks like it may/will be honored by Seven Oaks Alliance Church (Head Pastor Errol Rempel). We are following up some leads in regards to finding Sureyah a home who will donate their homestay to him but it is in God's hands.


Please contact me if you have anything I can update this section with. Please keep Sureyah in your prayers.
++++++++++++++++

Total Expenses Exp. $$ TWU Receiptable Expenses TWU FA/Scholarships Sch. $ $ Confirmed
Tuition - 09/10 $17,000 $17,000 Church Matching grant (anticipated) $2,000
Books $1,500 $1,500 TWU church match (anticipated) $2,000
Fees $300 $300 TWU Dean's scholarship $2,500 $ 2,500
Housing/Homestay (#2) $7,000
TWU Rempel Int. Sch $7,000 $ 7,000
Flight (#4) $1,200
Donations to TWU/SAF(england) $2,000
BC Medical Ins $700
Donations to TWU/SAF(france) $2,000
Misc. (personal - $75x12months) (#5) $900
Campus work $1,500









CLA donation (anticipated) $2,000



Amy Alexander - donations to SAF ?






TOTAL $28,600 $18,800 TOTAL $21,000 $ 9,500












NOTES:




1 IW to meet with Steve Nickel re Christian Life Assc - missions budget donation - $2000

2. DWeiss - working on homestay



3 IW to meet with potential donor to SAF - $3,000



4 DWeiss - flight cost, anticipated covered thru donation


5 Anticipated Misc. can not be covered through scholarship funding




Donor Instructions

Sureyah Tach ID#339560__has qualified for Student Assistance Fund (SAF) for the 2009/2010 academic year. In order to provide a donation to SAF and nominate _ Sureyah Tach to receive the bursary:

1) Confirm that you are not related to the student and that there is charitable intent – as outlined in point #4 below.

__________________________________________

Donor signature

Name: ____________________________________

Address:___________________________________________________________________________

Tel:_______________________________________

2) Forward cheque(s) payable to Trinity Western University, attention: Darlene Heriot. In the details section of the cheque, indicate “Student Assistance Fund.” Please do not include the student’s name on the cheque. Kindly enclose a copy of this form with your donation.

3) Address: Trinity Western University

Attn: Darlene Heriot

Development Department

7600 Glover Road

Langley BC V2Y 1Y1

A donation receipt will be mailed once the donation is received. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Darlene Heriot at 604.513.2121 x 3370 or email darlene.heriot@twu.ca.

Student Assistance Fund #1558

Through Student Assistance Fund, individuals can give a donation and nominate qualified students to receive an award to cover all, or a portion, of their tuition costs and on-campus room and board at Trinity Western University.

To qualify for Student Assistance Fund (SAF):

§ The student must attend TWU full time

§ The student must meet TWU minimum GPA requirements.

§ Financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Department.

§ The student cannot be related to the individual who nominates the student and donates to SAF (a spouse, grandchild, sibling, child, or relative can not benefit now or in the future from a donation – there must be charitable intent on behalf of the individual, and no benefit can accrue to the individual as determined by Canada Revenue Agency).

No comments: