Saturday, August 15, 2009

First days and birthdays!

Hi all! Much love to you.
From the girls head off to first day of school (20) pics


This is the long awaited update on the first week of school for us all. It was generally successful. The big kids did well, Steph easing into Gr 8 with a few course changes in the week, including a move into Algebra 1, which is a Gr 9 course. It was that, or do alot of repeated work, so she's going to enjoy the challenge. Julia started Gr. 6, and with that comes a new schedule, still a full classroom much like elementary school, but a few different teachers, different starting times, different lunch time, different uniform (from last year.) She was late for a couple classes the second day, just playing too long and forgetting that she is no longer lined up by teachers, but is expected to keep track of time and show up on her own. Her teacher was very gracious, as he was late for some things that day too. We all needed the week to get used to things. Julia's teacher is Mr. Bridell, who came from the St. Paul area with his Cambodian wife who is also on staff. He has provided an excellent first week for Jubes, so we are thankful.
From Maya showing off her new uniform

Maya had her first week of Kindergarten. It was very exciting the first day. At the end of the second day, when I was talking to her after school, she recounts to me that today she got "kicked out!" ??? Kicked out of Kindergarten??? Already? I had to stifle a laugh and try to get to the bottom of things. It sounded like she was "removed" from the carpet area for not doing as she was told, playing instead of listening, something like that. She said her teacher was mad at her, but I don't think that was the case. It was quite cute and she improved over the course of the week (or the class in general did) but it was just really funny to hear thos word "kicked out" coming from her mouth! She was pretty tired some days, but we just keep going to bed as early as possible.

Things ran fairly smooth for Dean and admin. The usual beginning of the year stuff to deal with, assemblies, class list changes, etc. I had a terrific week due to so many factors, but with my new position, I find I am really enjoying it and loving the library work. Ly is training me in alot of the computer stuff, I'm getting more used to the type of work it involves (which I really like) and my music classes were great! So much fun for me to teach. If I didn't mention before, our school, thanks to some fundraising by an elementary school in the States (Trendell?) were able to order some Orff instruments for the elementary music program. I came back from Canada to find they had ALL arrived! We openned the boxes, and WOW, it was like Christmas. A few soprano, alto xylphones, and one big bass xylophones, a couple metalophones, and if that doesn't mean anything to you, just take it as a tremendous improvement to our classes! There are about 12 new instruments, and they won't even fit in our music room to actually use, until the new school. I can't wait to introduce them and use them! So much fun.
firstweekofschool_lesbirthday

What was a lovely surprise for me, was teaching middle school music. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but so far, it's been one of my favorite classes. Super kids, with great hearts, and good intentions, AND we are going to pursue an instrumental emphasis in class! What this means is that we have enough band instruments and electronic equivalents to make a bit of a "band" program a go! It's exciting. Logos officially has 3 clarinets, 2 flutes and one trumpet for students to use, and we have a drum set, two students who can bring their own electric guitar and bass, AND we have a few keyboards and a piano that can fill in parts! So, this is an answer to prayer, that I have been asking for since last year. We are still looking though, for more instruments, of course. ANyone reading this who is currently IN Cambodia, and has a flute, clarinet, trumpet, alto saxophone or trombone that they could loan/donate/sell cheaply to Logos??? We would still take anything more we could get! I'm going to make one last call on some of the internet sights that advertise and see if we could get any more. ANyways, the whole time has been a great week and very exciting with the promise of great music learning!!!

Monday was Aug 10. I sang and taught and towards the end of the day, I felt my voice tender and starting to go. Well, I had lost my voice quite significanty by TuesdayAugust 11, and for the rest of the week even up til today! I am not sick, don't feel the least bit ill, but I have a very bad case of laringitis, and have attempted to teach all week with it, but it's not been good, and what I really need to do is rest it. I'm prett sure it's just using my voice and being out of shape, probably the air quality doesn't help it, but I'm a little concerned at this point, cuz I was sure it would start to improve by later in the week. I see myself playing charades all next week to try and heal it. From what I've heard, you're not even supposed to whisper when things get this bad (is that true SLy?) but I've tried to talk all week, reading kids stories in library, in the music class. So, I must pray that this goes away quickly, because teaching in general without a voice is virtually impossible, but teaching MUSIC without a voice pretty much IS impossible! We'll see how this goes...

Lesley's Birthday:

Well, Aug 11, the day I lost my voice, was also my 40th birthday! ha ha. God has a great sense of humor! I guess the message is "shut up and listen!" I hope I can learn that this year! I would love to tell you what my birthday (week) was like. SO many of you have e-mailed, sent wishes and so many kind words and blessings. This was my amazing day!

I woke up at 5:30 am to go for a run. I've learned that early morning runs are the only way to do it here, with the temperature outside (did I mention that it's been VERY hot lately? Really hote!) Anyways, I've wanted to keep up with the running I got back into this summer in Canada, so I've been doing it as much as I can early in the morning. Well, I get downstairs very early, no one else is up, and everywhere I look, there are signs posted ALL over the house! It started with one on my pillow "40 reasons why I love you. #1 You are the Love of my life!" GULP! It was all from Dean, 40 reasons, stuck up all over the walls and other places in the house, stating reasons why he loved me! I started to cry, and pretty much cried for the rest of the day! haha. (It was rather pathetic!) But it was so nice, mostly because the reasons were very well thought out, like "23 of 40. Your ability to backpack when you were yonger even though it wasn't the "funnest" thing." Or 13 of 40 "The way you try not to laugh at my stupid jokes" (My sister Cathy will like that one!) And it just went on and on! Most of them were things I never even thought he noticed or realized, let alone cared about! Some were even at school and I didn't find a few until later that night upon going upstairs! So, it was an unbelievable way to start the day. I don't even know why, the night before, I didn't go downstairs, as I usually do! But i was in our bedroom (aircon!) reading some school work and just didn't go downstairs, for some reason, providing him and the girls time to put everything up! I was in shock, and headed out the gate with tears in my eyes.

5:45 am, I went for a run around the quiet streets of Toul Kork, Phnom Penh, at the dawn of my 40th birthday! How many people can say they that? What a priviledge!!!

Well, School was fun that day, because everyone knew it was my birthday, and I started receivng "40" of things, from gum, to instant coffee, stickers! A couple lists of 40 reasons why we love you! My good friend Casey met me at the gate with a card and 40 "choco chex cereal" (really good!) and a long list of 40 things her and her family like about me. The tears just continued! Really, I had to pull myself together! Lots of well wishes, and people were just so very kind!!!

Then, Dean interrupted one of my classes with a bouquet of 40 red helium balloons! Tied those up in the library! Not an hour later, He comes in with 40 Roses! Where did this guy come from and would you please bring me back my husband?!! Finally, the best surprise, I had actually found out the day before. We had staff meeting monday after the first day of school, and Dean announces that since there is no way to surprise me because I'm so suspicious (I prefer it to be "aware") everyone is invited to a party, Friday night on the third floor of the FCC, a great restaurant on the river front , from 7-9, appies, beverages, and lots of 80's music!!! I went completely red, as this was a huge surprise to me right then. I also found out that he had sent out e-mails letting people know, but just took it that far to surprise me! It was great, cuz it was something we could all look forward to to celebrate getting through our first week, which was a hugely monumental thing to do for many of us, especially the new teachers, or new to cambodia teachers!

We even went out to a simple supper on my birthday, and came home to birthday cake. It was lovely. The family all gave me a card, and Steph wrote some really beautiful things to her mom. Wow. How many mom's can have those kinds of loving words come from their 13 year old? Once again, I was reminded of the life of priveledge I lead. In fact, that is what was so reflective about my birthday--There but by the Grace of God go I. Why me? Why a healthy life? Why a lasting, quality marriage and three beautiful, healthy children? Why did I get to have the utmost of priviledged childhoods, with two loving and sacrificing parents who made sure I had green grass and a safe yard to play in, who insisted I get a good education and never made university an option, but made sure I got the best of everything! I think of that so much now here in Cambodia, where education, especially a good one, is elusive to so many, and there are so many parents who don't or can't value education and need their kids to work to bring home money. 1975-1979, while there was a war ravaging this country, I was a happy-go-lucky kid, playin going to school, eating, sleeping and living in a safe, priviledged country. These are the things I thought of all day long and could not stop the tears!
From firstweekofschool_lesbirthday

And to be 40 years old, serving my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ here in Cambodia, is beyond my wildest dreams, literally, for anything I ever had for myself. And to be here with my family, willingly serving, just doing a job we believe God has set out for us to do at a time such as this... Ah, I cannot fathom the priveledge, or what it ever was I did to deserve this. I am beside myself even now thinking about it. And I can only be thankful and reflect and say THANK YOU to those who have enabled me to have this life of priveledge. Besides God, to whom I give the glory, I have to say thank you to my Mom and Dad. They loved and still do love me so much, they showed me what a strong marriage should look like, and they showed me the value of hard work and discipline. And they cared for me, loved me, sacrificed for me and my sisters to a level that not many parents are willing or able to go. Thank you, M & D, for giving me the life you were able to give me, and for letting me go to Gimli Bible camp, where I first heard, really heard, about what a friend Jesus could be for me.

Then, of course I cannot list everyone I think of who played a merciful role in my life right here, but the fact that we are in PP right now, is thanks to people who support us. People who give money, say prayers, gave us a meal, think of us, read out blog, send an encouraging message our way. I mean, honestly, the priviledge we have (ok, I know I sound like a broken record) but honestly, to be out here is HUGE! There is absolutely no where else I/we would rather be right now but right here, doing what we're doing, and it would not be possible without the support, in all forms, of people who love us! It blows my mind, and turning 40 just highlighted everything so much for me. SO sentimental and reflective, but I don't care! Throw my stallworth-ness (is that a word?) to the wind! It was GREAT to turn 40! Something I didn't think I would ever say! Good to be thankful! Good to be alive and healthy and living life!!!

The best was yet to come: The party!!! I write on Saturday, so last night, Friday night, was the big bash at FCC. First of all, it's a lovely restaurant, frequented by foregners almost exclusively, but it's really the happenin place to be (and now that I'm 40, I'm happenin, right?) THe history of the "Foreign correspondants Club" is it was the place journalists went during the war to get information in and out of the country. SO, it's full of pictures of the war, it's all open air too, overlooking the Mekong river, and the most touresty part of the city.
From firstweekofschool_lesbirthday

Dean had reserved the top, third floor, a whole section that came with a speaker system, and had invited our whole staff to come out and celebrate me and completing the first week of school! Tons of people came. Staff, our couple friends, Dean even had Jordy and Micah come to hang out with Steph and Julia, and Kara Dedert brought Sophie, to chum with Maya. There were tables to sit at, appies to eat, a little dance floor, and with all 80's music, what else could you do but dance??? It was a blast! I never knew that I would dance the night away on my 40th birthday! (Too bad it wasn't my wedding!!) Great tunes, good food, great people, all adds up to a good time. 7-9 we "partied" then had birthday cake. I swear, I sang every word to every song that was played that night! Too bad my brain can't memorize like that anymore, or maybe it really still can! It was so fun! Lots more "40" birthday presents too, like 40 almonds for "acid reflux" 40 lychee nuts, 40 100Riel bills (that's a whopping $1US). A huge card signed by everyone, and lots of little cards, letters, well wishes, nice things said! Casey and matt Friedberg agreed to pick up cakes, as did the Suh's and they were very yummy. The kids even eventually got up and danced with some of their teachers, which turned out to be just, again, so much fun.
From firstweekofschool_lesbirthday


We went home around 10 in a tuk tuk, tired, VERY sweaty and with big smiles on our faces. What's funny is my Dad has always said my birthday in August, has always been a nice day! Well, officially, this birthday was the hottest! I don't know what the temp got up to cuz no one ever seems to know, but let me tell you, it was a dripper! The restaurant has fans, but when you're dancing up a storm, it's still just a sweat fest in that temp! haha. So, it was fun. Maya fell asleep in the tuk tuk, which was not the first time that's ever happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last!
From firstweekofschool_lesbirthday

Well, that about sums it up, it was awesome, I felt very special and loved every minute of the laughs, even if no one could actually hear what I was saying because of my voice! Still, as we drove home, one little child came up to us, seeing us carrying the cake box home, and pointing from it to her mouth, begging for food. It breaks your heart and a part of me thinks that there are so many people in this country who will NEVER experience the priveledge I have had even that night, of a nice place to eat, nice clothes, a fun, safe party to celebrate just them, a quality education, a loving family. I can't list all the things people don't have out here. I guess the key is to be aware, be thankful when we do have times of priveledge, and did I mention be thankful??? That's the key!

Well, great writing to you all, and hope to hear from you soon via e-mail. Lots of love, lots of Thanks, and Cheers to God, without whom, non of this life is possible!!!
xo,
L

Wed, THurs, and Fri, without my voice, I thanked people for the well wishes! It was a full birthday week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most excellent post! Sounds like a great week. Do you have you voice back yet???