Sunday, August 9, 2009

Golf in Cambodia

I golfed at the Cambodia Golf and Country Club about 45 minutes outside of Phnom Penh! I know, You thought I was back working- well I had a chance to do this before the school and the kids are in full session so I took the chance and played hookie. What an experience. Kids running all over the golf course- picking up your balls and some other kids trying to sell you golf balls and anything else they can think of. We had some caddies with us too. These girls memorized club distances really quickly. The rental clubs were from the late 70's or something. My driver head was bent and the grips on these clubs were never changed- rock hard rubber. My hands sweat so much I got extra blisters trying to hang onto the clubs. The fairways were interesting and full of potholes and other problems. The rough was really crazy. The rough in the grass was really tough and hard and it really could hurt your wrist to get a ball out from it. The greens were actually pretty nice - for Cambodia. I think it was some sort of bent grass- very tricky. Hard to figure out- sometimes lightning fast and other times really slow and coarse. Cost was $36 plus rental clubs for $12 (includes mandatory caddie). The weather was so hot and windy I was roasting but it was a great time and a cool experience?(wording?)
I am not sure but the club house and golf course palm trees actually looks really old and I wonder if the whole course is pre Khmer Rouge or something that they are trying to bring back. The carpets in the club house are very fancy but really old, faded, and dirty looking. I think it looks like it needs some sort of restoration project or something like that. Not sure I will do it again, it is a bit expensive, but it is a unique Cambodian golf experience.

deano

The people in the picture are Darryl Deddert (from Ontario) and John Roberts (Colorado USA)- both teachers at Logos

No comments: