Friday, May 14, 2010

Maya keeps us smiling!



I will share one of the funny things Maya said a little while ago after she had visited a very poor area in Phnom Penh.
Maya was taking it all in, watching the little kids play with garbage and broken glass on the dirt path. Maya and I watched a little dirt covered naked girl about the age of 3 (could have been older but she was so small) trying to feed a dog some dinner she had made up consisting of dirt, broken glass she collected and bits of old dirty mango skin. It was what this little girl's life was all about. She was still having fun amongst the rubble. The little girl didn't care, she just wanted the dog to eat what she made. Watching this little girl, Maya noticed her and many other scenes like that with other little kids that day. Now for many of you reading something like this might be tough to handle, but it is real life and common here in Cambodia. So it is sad, but we are more use to seeing it so we can find some humor in this next part.
What Maya said later was really the funny part. We got back to Logos school and we decided to have a swim to cool off. Maya went to the bathroom to change. In her frustration and sweat she started to cry because she couldn't get her bathing suit on. In her frustration I came to help. She looked up at me and told me to take a note how dirty she was. I did seem to suddenly notice the unkempt mixture of sweat and dirt on her seemed rather prominent at that moment. I figured the dirt was from when we visited the poor area earlier that day.
Maya cries out with sobs and frustration, "Look at me Dad, I look like an Orphanage!" I laughed really hard when I heard that one. I questioned her and said, "Do you mean, you look like an orphan?" Maya half sobbing nodded her head yes. I said, "why do you look like an orphan?" Maya said it is because she is so dirty like those kids we saw earlier in the day. Oh out of the mouth of babes! I wish I could keep that image of her sad face looking up at me forever in my mind. It is very precious. Forever impacted.
From for_blog

Another story involves Maya reading to me about how God told Adam to name all of the animals He had created. There is a part near the beginning of her 'kid' Bible where God makes all the animals and places 'man' in charge of all the animals. It is now Adam's responsibility to name them all. Maya shows me this one picture of Adam and a large number of cartoon like animals all together. Maya points to this one small green frog at the bottom of the picture and she says, "This one is named Timmy!". I laughed hard at that one too.

Blessings,
Dean

No comments: