Friday, October 24, 2008

Ron, the General, Poipet & McDonald's playplace

Hello all. Friday night here and just getting down a bit of info for you.
We've had company all week! It was Ron Peters, a coworker of Dean's from MEI, and his cohort Roger Brown, who actually, Dean taught his kids at MEI. They are here with an organization called the ICR, International Christian Relief, looking to distribute some aid in the form of obtaining land to settle people in need on, and start some agriculture business. Anyways, they were headed to the Poipet area, but had a few days first in Phnom Penh, hoping for some contacts and leads on information in this area.
Well, I'm not the best person to tell you the details of everything that happened in the week, but it was pretty cool. First of all, Ron brought our first "STUFF" or care packages from home! Steph received a t-shirt signed by all the Gr. 7's and a nice journal from one of her teachers. Julia received home-made cards from all the Gr. 5's! Nice! and Maya and the rest of the family received some well thought necessity items, from medications to candies, I heard packed by Aileen at the high school and others. We got cards, notes AND I was begging for split Track CD Christmas music and actually got some very useful stuff. SO, I'm well on my way to starting the Christmas program for Logos, a fun part of my job I really enjoy. Putting on the show...

So, Thanks to Ron and the MEI staff and friends who thought so much of us, continue to do so, and hold us up in prayer! It's really great, AND I really enjoyed having visitors and hosting. (It's strange though, when I'm not the one cooking for them!--can't take any credit for that!) Ron's son Josh and his friend Brent Friesen also came out the second day, and although they did not stay at our house, we enjoyed some time and meals with them, so it was a nice change (for me) to have a higher number of males at the table than females! it was weird, actually. Now I know what it'll be like to have sons-in-laws! Can't wait! (I think my mom can relate!)

So, Ron arrived Sunday night, so did Roger. Roger had been in VIetnam for a week. The boys arrived Monday. We had dinners on Monday, and Tuesday, they were planning to head by bus up to Poipet, a northern city, to see a missionary friend, Joel Reimer and look at land and other ideas up that way. They wanted Dean to go and Dean wanted to go too, but it would be for the rest of the week, and that was a fair chunk of time. Dean decided not to go.
Well, due to an interesting turn of events, they had an opportunity to meet with a Cambodian General's son, who was a friend of Brent's from Trinity. This meeting turned into an actual meeting with the General himself, who could provide them leads and hear their ideas about getting support into the country. In Cambodian politics, unfortunately, it's not what you know, but who you know, so when Ron and his team got picked up in the General's Lexus, they knew this was no small potatoes!!!
So Back it up a bit--No kidding, Ron & Roger were on the bus to poipet Tuesday when they get the call saying the general will meet with them. They immediately stop the bus, get off it and head back into PP. SO, they stay with us until Thursday, have their meeting, and now the timing was much better for Dean, so he actually got to go with them to see Joel! It's pretty cool how things work out. So, currently Dean, Ron his son and Brent and Roger are all in Poipet, and plan to return Saturday! I've heard from Dean and it was quite a bus and taxi trip to get there, but he said Joel is well. Dean will fill you in when he gets home.

So, that had been our week--it's been very busy, with alot of changes, and last minute plans, and it's good with me. I actually had parent teacher interviews Thursday night and today, but not that many parents sign up for interviews. That made today a great work day. The kids stayed home with Sokhom, which is alright, but when I got home at 3 they were still in their pajamas! Then we went out for some fun this evening, which included a McDonalds play place type of play thing at this mall. It smelled like dirty rubber, there were piles of kids and I saw at least two kids bleeding at some point in the hour we were there! Yikes! I should have brought something to read, as I had to sit there bored, watching Khmer karaoke videos while kids ran and screamed around me! Well, we showered and scrubbed when we got home, that's for sure. This is certainly an interesting place. Sometimes I pinch myself...
I've been praying for a more evangelistic heart for the people of cambodia. I get so wrapped up in just educating them that I'm asking for more of a desire to see them meet Jesus. Today, I was very convicted that smiling at them, and being "nice" or kind just isn't enough! I'll wait and see where God goes with that one for me. I do enjoy being here very much.
Will talk when Dean gets home.

No comments: